Having a clean, peaceful, comforting home is very important to me! I want my family to feel safe and cozy in our home and be able to feel God’s love and peace throughout it. I truly feel like my calling from God is to be a wife, mother and homemaker because those are all things I’m passionate about. Now I’ve only been on my motherhood journey for 4 1/2 years so I’m not an expert by any means but if I can offer other moms ideas on running their homes more smoothly I feel like I should share! And hopefully some of you can offer tips to me as well! So here are a couple things I do to run our home smoothly:
1. Laying out our clothes and my gym clothes the night before. If I lay out my gym clothes at night it motivates me to get up in the morning and go.
2. Tidy up and start the dishwasher each night. This helps me wake up ready to start a new day and not have to deal with the messes from yesterday. Typically it takes me around 30 minutes to clean up the mess from dinner, start the dishes, clean up toys and whatever other messes from the day. 30 minutes well spent!!
3. Have a morning routine! The way you start your morning off can affect the rest of your day. I know that when I sleep in past my alarm at 4:30am and just wake up when the girls wake up I end up wishing I hadn’t. On the weekend I enjoy sleeping in until the girls wake up but on the weekdays I feel unproductive and actually not much more well rested haha. Before the girls wake up is my time for myself. I read my Bible, go to the gym, get ready, have some coffee, and get some work done until the girls wake up. I feel like doing this sets me up for success and with my stuff done I’m ready to enjoy my morning with the girls.
4. Keep a basket by the stairs for random stuff. This is one of my favorite ways to keep messes at bay! Tons of things each day find their way downstairs and to help them find their way back upstairs I set out this basket. Now I can throw in whatever I need to and then bring it up at the end of the day to be put away. Avery also knows that when she does her many outfit changes or wants to take her hair out that everything goes in that basket.
5. Plan out your week each Sunday. I know that if I didn’t plan out what my week looks like each week I wouldn’t be nearly as productive. I plan it out so that in the mornings on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (while Avery is at ballet school) I get as much done as possible so I can spend as much time with her as I can. I also use my weekly plan to figure out how many hours I can work each day. I’m so grateful to have a job I can do from home and choose my hours to work around the girls schedules!
6. Also on the topic of planning; meal plan for the week every Sunday. Now that you know what your week looks like you’ll know what days you need a quick dinner, what days you have time to try a new recipe and what days you’ll be putting dinner in the crock pot in the morning.
7. End of the month round up. My end of each month round up includes filling out my bullet journal for the next month, doing our monthly budget, and organizing any areas around the house that have inevitably gotten disorganized.
And always remembering to pray over my family and our home! “Holy Spirit you are welcome here; come flood this place and fill the atmosphere”!